Consciously choosing is one of my core values. So is loving kindness. Yet, in some situations, I’d like to respond to someone with loving kindness and I instead hear myself defending my ego or reacting from programmed conditioning. In these moments, I realize how automatically and ready are my ego and my conditioning.
To go beyond these ingrained habits, I use one or all of my “Choosing” tools:
- As often as I remember, I affirm, “not my will, rather Thy will.” This reminds me to choose from God/good consciousness.
- In tough situations, before I speak, I take a breath. This gives me a moment to actually choose a response rather than habitually and automatically reacting.
- If I do react, I apologize and ask for a re-do. This allows me to consciously respond even after I’ve reacted.
- I actively listen for inspiration and guidance. And, I follow it, even if I don’t fully and logically understand it. This accesses the inspired path, rather than the habitual one, because I already know where it leads!
- I remind myself to allow grace and miracles. This chooses for me far greater outcomes than I ever could have imagined.
If we don’t consciously use choosing tools, we react as we’ve always reacted and get what we’ve always gotten! Feel free to use my tools liberally and I would love to learn and try your tools, too . . .